Monday, January 30, 2012

May I Have This Dance?

Over the weekend I watched "A Knight's Tale", which I just got on Blue-ray. I'd almost forgotten how much I love it. While watching, I was reminded how much I also love a good dance scene in a movie, so I started thinking about other movies with memorable dance sequences. So, here's my list.

Note: I didn't include any traditional musicals, because that seems like cheating (plus, those dance scenes don't have the same effect for me as these do). I also didn't include any movies with the word "Dance" in the title, or that had dancing as a main plot point. The ones I've chosen are just movies that I love, which happen to contain dance scenes.

1. A Knight's Tale (Duh.)

What can I say? Heath Ledger (may he rest in peace) dancing and skipping and leaping around is just so. damn. cute. Plus, the close-ups of Rufus Sewell brooding help me get through the sadness I feel for Ledger's untimely passing. And we don't even have to mention the greatness of the song choice. This was the best clip I could find:



2. Slumdog Millionaire

So, you were just blown away by an amazing movie. Still high on happily ever after, you now get to watch a Bollywood-style dance scene. Can this movie get any better?!



3. The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)

This scene might make you want to seduce someone while wearing a see-through dress. Wait? It doesn't? Oh good, me neither...



4. The Wedding Planner

I love this scene. We find out that Matthew McConaughey's character is such a cad. J.Lo is shocked. Then, they dance.

Update: The original video (in English) has been removed, so just for fun, here it is in Italian (I think...) 



5. Shakespeare in Love

Ahhh, the way Violet and Will make eye contact...sigh...



6. Frida

I'm kind of obsessed with Frida Kahlo and I love this movie. This scene has some nice girl-on-girl action. Tango action, that is! Get your minds out of the gutter. Gosh. Okay, so it is a little suggestive. And involves a kiss. Fine.



7. Becoming Jane

Poor Jane Austen. She's so bored at the ball. But then, out of nowhere, Tom Lefroy jumps into the dance and her heart soars! I almost can't stand the way they look at each other. So heartbreaking.



8. Not Another Teen Movie

That's right, it made the list. I love this movie, so judge all you want! This particular scene is great, because it makes fun of all the movie dance scenes. So, see? Awesome. Plus, HIMYM fans, check out the fantastic little cameo from Josh Radnor.



9. Pride and Prejudice

I saved the best for last. Darcy and Elizabeth dancing had to make the cut. No way around it. I love both the 1995 and 2005 versions, but since Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy, enjoy his scene.




So, what do you think of my list? Which completely not obvious dance scenes did I miss?

1 comment:

  1. and Scent of a Woman, I would never forget how amazing the tango is! The OST is also wonderful!


    -iola

    ReplyDelete