Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Miss My Life Less Ordinary

So, I’ve been thinking about China a lot lately. If you don’t know me, you are probably wondering why I would be thinking about China. I get it, it’s a little random. Am I thinking deep thoughts about government censorship, or the current value of the Chinese Yuan against the U.S. Dollar? Nope. Not even close. I’m thinking about crowded subway cars, chopsticks, and Jasmine tea. China is on my mind because my husband and I spent 18 months living in Shanghai. Population of around 20,000,000. Yes, that is the correct number of zeros. I miss it. A LOT. In fact, I’m desperate to go back.

If you are a fan of CBS’ “The Amazing Race”, like I am, you might remember the show’s trip to Shanghai a couple of seasons back. With my firsthand experience of living as a foreigner in that larger-than-life metropolis, I can say that the city—and language barrier—was accurately documented on the reality show competition. The editors did an excellent job of showing how hard it can be to communicate with the locals—if your only language is English, that is. Seeing the teams run around in places I commuted through every day was pretty cool. This past season, the show went to China again, but not to Shanghai. Either way, it made me “home sick” for my China life.

I could list the specific things that I miss (the best vegetarian restaurant on the planet, the ease of public transportation, the good quality of life afforded at a lower price), as well as the things I don’t miss (the constant staring and mocking foreigners endure, mysterious wet spots on every section of the sidewalk, the push-or-be-pushed attitude one must adopt to use said public transportation), but I won’t (well, besides those things I listed after saying I wouldn’t list them). I’ll just say I miss being there and the feeling it gave me. Could I be more vague? Probably not, so let me try to explain.

There is just something I felt inside when I walked down the street, passing Chinese shops and Starbucks, and trying to avoid getting run over by motor scooters (yes, ON the sidewalks), that I just don’t get in Springfield, Missouri. Okay, maybe I’m not doing a very good job of explaining this. I guess it has something to do with escaping from a life I had deemed “normal” and boring. Every day was a new experience full of surprises and discoveries. In Springfield, the most excitement we’re likely to get is a new store at the mall. In Shanghai though, there is so much to explore. So many visual stimulants. I look back on my time there with such fondness, and I’m dying to have that feeling of wonder and escape once again. There’s truly nothing like stepping out onto a crowded sidewalk, looking in both directions (mostly for motor scooters), and knowing that no matter which way you go, something unexpected awaits you.

So, will I go back? Well, my husband and I talk about it ALL the time. Many of our conversations about our future include the following six words: “Let’s just go back to China.” I miss traveling around. We got to see so many things during our stay, such as the Great Wall, the Terracotta Warriors of Xi'an, and the famous Karst formations of Guilin. Life was just easier there. Was it always perfect? No. But, that’s part of the fun. I’ve told myself, if I go back, I have to put effort into learning some Mandarin. It’s pretty essential. I got by for a year and a half without it, but it was no “mooncake” walk. I hated it when locals would talk to me and I’d have no option but to just shrug my shoulders, shake my head and be the "silly foreigner,” so clueless and ignorant. It’s pretty darn humbling, that’s for sure. But ah, to be that clueless foreigner again, I’d do just about anything.

So, on that note, I’m going to start randomly throwing out anecdotes from my time in Shanghai. I really regret not blogging while I was there, so I’m going to do it retroactively. The first is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment